Here at Bloody Good Horror we spend much of our time talking about good movies and bad movies alike, and picking apart the things that place titles in either category. In horror specifically, there is a beautiful gradient, comprised of everything from "so bad it's good" to "just plain bad." For many movies in this grey area, the viewing experience itself - who you watch it with and how - can be as important as the movie itself. In that tradition, monthly on a Thursday we'll fondly recall one of those kinds of movies that seem made for the loud and alcohol-fueled viewing party, and give you the framework to host a screening of your very own, complete with imbibing instructions!
Note: BGH reminds you to respect the minimum age requirement for drinking in whatever god forsaken hellhole you live in.
Ok, before we even get started let me clarify, this is a drinking game for the first movie in The Purge franchise, not to be confused with the movie, The First Purge. I know, it's silly.
Anyway! For the next few months we are going to be righting a great wrong over here at Bloody Good Horror. Namely, our unacceptable lack of drinking games for the Purge movies. Naturally, we're going to start with the movie that started the phenomenon and dared to ask, "What would happen if there just were no rules?" I know, it seems counter intuitive to create rules for a movie that seems so averse to the very idea, but I won't tell if you won't!
1. Drink for every ominous shot of people prepping for the Purge.
2. Take a sip for SHAME every time Lena Headley is on screen (make them small, this movie has a small cast).
3. Cheers to Ethan Hawke, have a nip when Mr. Hawke looks so earnest!
4. Drink whenever those damn youths are super creepy for no reason.
5. Finish your drink if you can get through this movie without Childish Gambino's "This is America" starting to play in your head...and then making you super sad.