Battlestar 4.17 - "No Exit"
The Great Cylon Mythos has finally been revealed, and all within twenty minutes of dialogue, spoken by a character who had a bullet lodged in his brain.
It was quite a ballsy move by the BSG producers to have such a complex backstory explained using just dialogue, and zero flashbacks. Personally, I did not feel taken out of the drama, but I wished for a graph to draw out a time line, explaining exactly what happened throughout the history of the Cylons and when.
In this review, we are going to change modes somewhat. I am going to list what I have learned from this episode, and I want you BSG fans to :
A) correct me if I am wrong
B) tell me what you think of the show's many reveals
Here we go-
-The thirteenth tribe, the tribe that colonized Earth, developed far quicker than any of the other twelve tribes.
-Cylons were created on Earth, as they were in the twelve colonies, but the Earth Cylons eventually evolved to a point where the "Skin Jobs" (human looking Cylons) were able to procreate on their own.
- The "Final Five" Cylons- Sol and Ellen Tigh, Chief Tyrol, Anders and Tory all lived on Earth. Seeing that a nuclear Armageddon would soon befall their planet, the Final Five reinvented the process of "Resurrection". They died on Earth, during the Nuclear War, but were "Resurrected" on their ship, that was circling in orbit.
-After the destruction, they traveled on their Resurrection ship, (incapable of traveling at light speed) back to the twelve colonies.
(I am almost there, folks.)
- The arrival of the Final Five is what caused the Cylons from the original twelve colonies to end their uprising. To promote peace, the Final Five created eight new Skin Job models.
- The first of the new skin jobs was John Cavil, who was modeled after Ellen Tigh's father.
- The seventh Cylon has actually never been revealed, but apparently this Cylon was named Daniel, who according to Ellen Tigh was an artist that had his entire line destroyed by Cavil.
(As a side note, I believe this "Daniel", who supposedly had their chemical bath poisoned on the Resurrection ship, actually changed genders and became Danielle, and eventually resurrected into Starbuck... just a theory)
- Finally, The Final Five were all killed off by Cavil, before the second Cylon War began. Their minds were tampered with, and like Boomer, they believed they were humans to begin with.
Did I miss anything?
As you can see, that was quite a bit to swallow. I am curious as to what you fellow BSG fans think. I have one question you might be able to answer as well. What happened that made Sol Tigh and Ellen get released amongst the humans, way before the other Final Five members? Adama remembers being friends with Tigh, and that is going back at least twenty years.
Otherwise, I am intrigued by everything we have learned this episode, and this backstory has my imagination working overtime, increasing my excitement over the conclusion of this show, and the beginning of 'Caprica'.